
I've seen many times in my life that sin has consequences that we have to deal with, even though we have Grace. However, I'm seeing a consequence of really really old sin playing out in ways I really haven't before. Way back in Genesis 11, Noah's grandsons were very proud. In their pride the decided to build a zugurat (a tower) "to the heavens." In that day it would have brought them great renown and with the intimidation factor thrown-in, they would have been able to dominate many of the other people (the rest of their family... this close to Noah, you couldn't really get much farther than second cousin). God saw this and saw that He had created them capable of accomplishing quite a bit. Unfortunately, man had seen this too, and they became quite proud, making a name for themselves, rather than for God or rather than allowing Him to be their name. He confused their language and scattered them around the earth. Now today, I'm babbling in broken Spanish and a mix of Spanglish thrown in.
Really, this is one of the most difficult parts of this journey. I can communicate do some degree in groups of one to three people, but when there are several people communicating (small groups, classes, etc), I can hardly understand anything that is going on. I'm having a bit of a hard time with this since, at times, I'm literally aching to be able to communicate with people. Even when I am able to carry on a conversation, it's very difficult to talk about deeper subjects pertaining to faith, belief and the Christ-like life. It's especially hard on me since I know about hurting that's going on here and the people are an absolutely wonderful people. I want to be able to talk with them, and listen to them, and share my faith and the ways that God's revealed Himself to me and worked in my life. I'm learning patience faster than I'm learning Spanish.
Fortunately, God seems to care more about community, grace, and fellowship, than He does confusion, and He's blessed me with several friends here that understand and speak a great deal of English. With them, I can speak with people I otherwise would be unable to. -It's still quite difficult to talk with people, especially about personal issues, but with the assistance of my bi-lingual friends here, I can at least understand what's going on, and converse some. I'm still aching to be able to talk with people clearly, at at times feel a little useless, despite my efforts. The Good News isn't terribly complicated, but when you can't speak the same language as the people you're around, It's tough, and I don't want to accidentally communicate the wrong thing! -You can't just smile and nod with faith questions :-P
If you would, be praying about the language barriers. People here are learning English and so that helps us a bit, but ultimately, it is God that will allow us to communicate. Also, I'm meeting with an remarkably intelligent, cultured individual named Abel. He speaks English well, is a fan of psychology, and is not yet a Christian. We will likely be talking some about both psychology and faith on Monday, so pray that the Spirit moves in us and that God may be present, glorified, and that it be Him speaking, not just me. Also, if you would, pray for one of the youth here. We'll call him "Elijah." His mother has been sick for a while and it's been difficult on his family (some of which are believers, others not at all... Elijah has not yet decided). Pray for his family, and for his decision.
I'll write again soon and talk a little more about what I've actually been up to!
Bob,
ReplyDeleteI imagine not always being able to communicate is pretty frustrating. I will be praying that the Spirit will guide your interactions especially with your new friends mentioned above. But, be of good cheer, I spent a great deal of last semester having lots of "faith" talks with someone who is not a Christian. We do speak the same language, and I am convinced that the words themselves were of little consequence. I'm praying that you have patience, and wisdom and that God would teach you new ways to communicate the Gospel that you would have never imagined before. Have a great weekend!