Wanting to see what Peru is like outside of the city, a few of us went to a Condor reserve called Colca Canyon for a two-day hike. We joined up with a Spanish couple and a pair from Holland to hike into and through the canyon, where we stayed the night. The hike was challenging and the view stunning, but the best part of the trip was a series of conversations I was able to have with the two ladies from Holland (Karen & Sandra). They were curious about what we are doing in Arequipa with the Bible and with urban/rural development. They wondered why we were not touring the continent, as was every other Anglo we had met. More particularly, they were curious at this “protestant religion” where people can have a relationship with God. Sandra informed me that she was “Catholic, but not a very good one.” She believes in “things,” but the idea of Jesus as a reigning Lord is foreign to her. We discussed life and I shared how when I realized
This past Tuesday, I was able to talk with a guide named Hugo for a while, and again, conversations turned to faith. Looking out over the mountains, I shared Romans 1:20, about God’s invisible qualities being visible in nature. Hugo expressed that he had read the Bible as a child, but when life got hard, he no longer found in meaningful for him. Not having a father, Hugo struggled with finding his own identity, and with having any sort of structure to his life. He is a heavy drinker, has little self-direction in his life, and now has a three year-old son who looks up to him. Hugo and I talked about how God sent Jesus to model how to live well, and in relationship with Him. Christ’s example is a structure for us and it is followable. Though it costs us everything, we gain more than we lose. Wednesday, Hugo was in charge of a large party for Peruvian Independence Day. I had helped him prepare to stop drinking, even though he had to be present to coordinate the party. I have not talked with Hugo since then, but if you would, join me in praying that He be able to actualize change in his life, and that he find his example in Christ, the powerful servant king.
We also had a large library event this past Saturday. A drama troupe came and acted out a popular children's story. Additionally a local teacher came and spoke to the children in attendance about the importance and excitement of reading. The libraries
No comments:
Post a Comment