
After the night comes dawn. As I start to write this blog I’m sitting in the plane over Cuba. Through the window to my right, the sky is glowing red as the sun is just about to rise.
This trip has been filled with many discouragements and trials both of patience and faith. However, it has also been filled with incredible joys and encouragements. Looking out my window I feel like I’m waiting for more than just a pretty sunrise and a new day. I’m waiting for
the new day. One of these days the sky will light up as with a new sun or a flash of lightning and Jesus will descend in His Father’s Glory. For those of us who know Him, our new day will begin and the light will burn away everything trying or hurtful in this world. This fills me with great encouragement and joy, but also with some discouragement as our horizon too is glowing. The day will break soon enough and there will be many that are not prepared. In Matthew and Luke, Jesus speaks of a great wedding banquet. The King has announced its coming, the engagement has been made, the final call announced and in our present time, the table is being set. When our sun rises, the doors will close and the feast will begin.

To all of you who have been praying for me and supporting me, I greatly thank you, and especially God for this opportunity to go to Argentina and spread the Good News of Hope, an Everlasting City, and of our intimate savior, Jesus Christ. I pray too that the work I’ve been blessed to do has been fruitful and that as a result, we may have many more brothers and sisters to dine with on that day. I will blog again with my personal reflections, but for now, here is a bit of where we left off in Argentina:

The youth really seem encouraged by the purity class and discussion groups. The guys are going to continue meeting from time to time with Osvaldo and Pedro to continue pressing on in their new-found fraternity. The girls have decided to meet every Saturday before the youth meeting to continue studying purity. We found a copy of
And the Bride Wore White in Spanish and they will begin by going through that book. I also gave a copy to Jared and Karina, as Kayla too will eventually be a lady (after she learns how to walk of course!).

Carlos came a bit late to the Saturday class, which was the first time I’d seen him in a couple of weeks. We talk from time to time, but since our initial conversation, he has seemed to shy away from spiritual topics and settings. He (as most Argentines) seems to value spending time with people, but seems apprehensive about a spiritual relationship with God and with others. I plan on following up with him from time to time and hope to continue encouraging him.
Since Laura was out of town last weekend, I agreed to meet with Walter for his English class. In reality, I just wanted an excuse to meet with him. I was able to bring up and confront his ‘disillusions’ about himself. I was able to explain to him what grace was and how we don’t have to 'fix' ourselves before we can accept it, but rather, through grace, God works within us to help us change. Through further discussion, I came to see that he knows some scripture, and what he generally needs to do; he just doesn’t want to change. His casual dismissal of the significance of my purity ring, and dismissal of himself as “oh, I’m one of the lost sheep” made me uncomfortable. I was happy that he was interested in the idea off seemingly unworthy people being grafted into the Christ vine and growing new. He said that following Jesus was a difficult decision to make and he didn’t want to think about it very much. I don’t think he has any sort of peace in him. The last thing I said to him was that if he did decide to follow Christ, that it would be worth it. He’s still thinking.

I am greatly fond of the Zarate group. They are growing in the Spirit and in service by leaps and bounds and have already begun their ministry in Zarate (about 2 hrs outside of B.A.). Giovanni and Cynthia plan to get married this coming year and the whole group is growing in leadership. They have a home gathering in their house on Wednesdays. The younger brothers and Martin are also growing into leaders within the youth group. I feel blessed to have been able to share in their growth. They have a friend who would only come visit them if they agreed to not talk about their faith. That friend recently saw a video of Salvador’s baptism. He said that it gave him goosebumps and he has since spent many hours asking the family about Jesus and this faith that seems to move people inside. The video is of Giovanni & Cynthia in Zarate
I called Abel before I left B.A. He was on his way to his therapist, but he wished me well. He said that he could not miss his session or else his therapist would think he was being “resistant” to therapy (probably psychoanalytic). He’s not been coming to group very much and I think he’s becoming a little more discouraged again. We will keep in touch and I will keep trying to minister to him. Before we hung up, he asked very sincerely for me to be praying for him. I compare him to the seed thrown among the weeds; choked by the concerns of this world. Pray that God tills Abel’s soil and pray for those of us trying to water and fertilize. As with so many, he seems to really want the Christ life, but he’s afraid to let go and take the leap of faith.

Elias is doing wonderfully well. For a time he has been acting a little more distant; probably affected by his brother and classmates. Now, he is back to his joy-filled self and get this… his brother is now attending church, as are his two sisters. His mom is sick again, and they are doing tests to figure out why. However, the family is still doing well and God is indeed working through this. When he and I would pray together, he would always ask for prayers for his family. I would like to pass that prayer request along to you as well. Pray for Elias and his family.


Pedro is still working at 200% capacity. We greatly enjoyed working together even though there was a slight language barrier. I’ve been the only worker around his age and maturity level in a while, so I think God was able to use that to recharge him a little (he lives with Thomas, who is ~49 years old). His girlfriend will visit from Chile later this month, so I would imagine that will be nice for him as well. He’s a great guy with a real servant’s heart. He gives a lot of himself and I’m glad I was able to give a little back. In the picture here is a fun project we worked on in one of our days off (we are building a pac-man and a ghost to be filmed running around B.A. We didn’t finish the costumes before I left, but when they finish, I’ll post the video link.
The Lipscomb girls made it back to Tennessee alright, and another Let’s Start Talking team will arrive here in September to continue working with people who are studying English, but are learning Jesus. Their final comments are on
Annie’s blog
Jared and Karina are still hoping for some help in their small group. It’s hard to them to come back and visit family and supporters in the USA because right now they are the only recognized ‘leaders’ within the group and may lose contacts if they are not here to keep things going. Nicolas and Brittney seemed to really enjoy the city, and we’re waiting to see what God’s will is for their future. Kayla can take six consecutive steps, but usually chooses not to. She got upset when Nicolas and I left, which made us feel good inside (because she likes us!!).

Veronica, Paula and a few others are remarkably promising as we continue with the Alpha course. I’m really excited and I think they will become Christians soon. Even now they are talking with their families about what they have been learning, and their parents and siblings are starting to become curious about this faith that has been so exciting and transforming. It’s great!
I'm finally home as I bring this post to a close. It's been quite an adventure! I will write again soon with my personal reflections, how I saw God on the trip, and some of the ways that I've learned and grown towards missions. Thank you all.
No comments:
Post a Comment